Scientist / Senior Scientist, Protein Purification
Department: Drug Discovery
Employment Type: Full Time
Reference Number: 2126305
Job Description Summary
The ideal candidate is an expert in protein expression and purification for a wide range of protein classes and has experience in protein crystallization. In addition, you are organized, collaborative, and able to use your expertise to guide team decisions.
- Gene-to-protein project management and hands-on implementation of workflows to produce pure, high-quality, soluble, recombinant protein on the 10-100 mg scale.
- Design constructs including amino acid boundaries, tags, and protease sites.
- Express recombinant protein in E. coli on a variety of scales (small scale up to 10 Liters).
- Develop and execute protein purification methods on an AKTA FPLC using affinity, metal-chelation, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatography.
- Execute protein chemistry protocols such as protease cleavage and biotinylation.
- Characterize and quantify protein expression, homogeneity, and stability.
- Clearly document protein purification protocols and batch reports in a timely manner.
- Schedule protein expression and purification for multiple targets and coordinate protein deliveries with members of the pre-clinical research team.
- Pro-actively and creatively improve constructs, expression, and purification for complex targets.
- Perform routine protein crystallization experiments.
- Maintain our protein chemistry lab. Ensure proteins are safely stored and equipment is operational.
- Maintain all appropriate legal and corporate standards for lab safety and hazardous material.
- Maintain a current knowledge of protein chemistry and drug discovery scientific literature. Identify and, where appropriate, implement novel techniques and technologies.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with project team members from multiple disciplines.
What is Required
- The candidate will hold a Bachelor's degree in biochemistry or a related field with 5 years of protein purification experience in a research setting, a Master's degree and a minimum of 2 years' experience, or a PhD.
- Role is on-site at company HQ in San Diego and requires COVID-19 vaccine or weekly negative COVID-19 test results.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, scientific creativity, and ability to think logically & critically.
- Expertise producing pure, homogenous protein for crystallization.
- Proficiency in construct design and protein expression.
- Experience working in a structural biology setting on a variety of protein classes.
- Ability to work pro-actively and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
About Mirati Therapeutics
Mirati Therapeutics is a late-stage biotechnology company whose mission is to discover, design and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. The company is relentlessly focused on bringing forward therapies that address areas of high unmet need, including lung cancer, and advancing a pipeline of novel therapeutics targeting the genetic and immunological drivers of cancer. Mirati is using its scientific expertise to develop novel solutions in two registration-enabling programs: adagrasib (MRTX849), an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRASG12C inhibitor, as monotherapy and in combination with other agents, and sitravatinib, an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases in combination with checkpoint inhibitor therapies. Mirati is also advancing its differentiated preclinical portfolio, including MRTX1133, an investigational KRASG12D inhibitor, and other oncology discovery programs. Unified for patients, Mirati's vision is to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer.
At Mirati, we have an unapologetic and relentless focus on our mission to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. Patients and their families motivate us to work smarter, faster and better. We are driven by the knowledge that our efforts can one-day deliver life-saving therapies for the people who need us most. Urgency, open-mindedness, accountability and collaboration ground our work. These shared values are central to who we are, what we do and how we do it.
Our people fuel our success. They are fearless and passionate in their daily pursuit of our mission. We are committed to continuing to create a company and experience that attracts and keeps the best people. When you want your days to count and the work you do to matter, discovering and delivering potentially life-changing therapies is more than a job, it's the chance to be part of something bigger.
We believe diverse professional experiences and an inclusive culture can drive better outcomes for patients. We want employees to be authentic and use their perspectives to contribute to our mission in a meaningful way.
Mirati cultivates an environment where:
- An entrepreneurial attitude is encouraged
- Our people are empowered to speak up, embrace the gray and achieve solutions
- Diverse experiences are an important of part making the best decisions
- We laugh and have fun as a work family
No matter the role, we are unified by our passion for helping patients, and are inspired by a single vision - to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer. Together, we own Mirati's success.
Learn more at Mirati.com/careers.
Mirati is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) - we celebrate diverse experiences without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.