Director, Tax (Remote or Home Office Based)
Employment Type: Full Time
Reference Number: 2058992
Job Description Summary
This will be the company's first dedicated tax hire, and as such, will require a mix of both strategic thinking and the ability to roll-up the sleeves/implement the vision. This role will be responsible for tax planning, tax compliance, accounting for income taxes, timely filing of applicable tax returns, and tax structuring for first time commercial product, including product movement throughout countries. Our continued growth, both in terms of revenue and headcount, brings with it many challenges that this individual will address. This is a crucial role for our organization and one that provides a fantastic opportunity to build the tax foundation. The US and global tax strategy as we work toward a potential first time drug product launch will be critical.
The role will report into the Vice President, Finance and be supplemented by members of our accounting and Finance team as necessary. In addition, this role will work closely with our external tax providers.
The ideal candidate will possess a mix of Big Four and industry experience and be comfortable working in an undefined and fast paced environment. The ability to define a vision and then implement/sustain is a must have.
- Own and evolve our global tax strategy
- Build tax strategy for product movement among countries for commercial sales
- Own our transfer pricing and inter-company agreement process
- Own our sales and use tax and property tax process and related tools
- Advise on global tax implications as it relates to sales, employment agreements, subsidiaries, etc.
- Own the relationship with our external tax advisors for all local, state, and federal filings on a global basis
- Manage the ad hoc tax projects such as 382 Analysis, R&D Tax Credit Studies, State Nexus Study, etc.
- Coordinate tax provision preparation with our external tax advisors
- Assist with our external financial audit on tax-related matters
- Work on ad-hoc projects as necessary
What is Required
- A Bachelor's Degree in Finance/Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- 10+ years of relevant experience, with at least 4 years being spent in Public Accounting environment; biotech industry experience a very strong plus
- A driven curiosity to learn and apply rapidly evolving and complex tax technical concepts with a business first mindset.
- Strong tax technical and compliance expertise, and interest to further develop, through supporting collaboration agreements, in-license deals, global expansion, etc.
- Strong management skills necessary to assure that all federal and state compliance is accurate and timely flied. Strong communication and stakeholder management skill necessary to assure that needs are met in a timely and accurate manner.
- Comfort coordinating and leading across external tax teams in a shared knowledge environment. Demonstrated ability to exercise judgement over complex issues in a fast-paced environment; comfort working with multiple simultaneous scenarios to drive optimized financial and cash tax outcomes.
- Exceptional communication skills; comfort articulating complex tax issues to management and non-tax audiences with minimal preparation. Strong presentation skills.
- Exceptional self and project management skills with a demonstrated ability to manage evolving priorities in a dynamic work environment and willingness to step into a "do-er role" when needed.
- Analytical and detail-oriented work style
- Ability for end-to-end process thinking
About Mirati Therapeutics
Mirati Therapeutics is a late-stage biotechnology company whose mission is to discover, design and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. The company is relentlessly focused on bringing forward therapies that address areas of high unmet need, including lung cancer, and advancing a pipeline of novel therapeutics targeting the genetic and immunological drivers of cancer. Mirati is using its scientific expertise to develop novel solutions in two registration-enabling programs: adagrasib (MRTX849), an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRASG12C inhibitor, as monotherapy and in combination with other agents, and sitravatinib, an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases in combination with checkpoint inhibitor therapies. Mirati is also advancing its differentiated preclinical portfolio, including MRTX1133, an investigational KRASG12D inhibitor, and other oncology discovery programs. Unified for patients, Mirati's vision is to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer.
At Mirati, we have an unapologetic and relentless focus on our mission to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. Patients and their families motivate us to work smarter, faster and better. We are driven by the knowledge that our efforts can one-day deliver life-saving therapies for the people who need us most. Urgency, open-mindedness, accountability and collaboration ground our work. These shared values are central to who we are, what we do and how we do it.
Our people fuel our success. They are fearless and passionate in their daily pursuit of our mission. We are committed to continuing to create a company and experience that attracts and keeps the best people. When you want your days to count and the work you do to matter, discovering and delivering potentially life-changing therapies is more than a job, it's the chance to be part of something bigger.
We believe diverse professional experiences and an inclusive culture can drive better outcomes for patients. We want employees to be authentic and use their perspectives to contribute to our mission in a meaningful way.
Mirati cultivates an environment where:
- An entrepreneurial attitude is encouraged
- Our people are empowered to speak up, embrace the gray and achieve solutions
- Diverse experiences are an important of part making the best decisions
- We laugh and have fun as a work family
No matter the role, we are unified by our passion for helping patients, and are inspired by a single vision - to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer. Together, we own Mirati's success.
Learn more at Mirati.com/careers.
Mirati is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) - we celebrate diverse experiences without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.