Structural Biology Intern 2
Department: Drug Discovery
Employment Type: Contractor
Reference Number: 1893853
Job Description Summary
The Drug Discovery team at Mirati is responsible for the invention, optimization, and characterization of small molecules as clinical candidates for the Mirati research portfolio. Mirati is seeking an intern with an interest in Structural Biology to join the Drug Discovery group.
You will support daily activities in the Structural Biology group while developing hands-on technical skills and learning fundamentals of protein purification and crystallization. Minimum 10 hours per week.
- Assist with recombinant protein production and purification including:
- Transforming, inducing, and harvesting coli cell cultures.
- Characterizing and quantifying protein expression levels, purity, and concentration.
- Assist with protein crystallization including:
- Maintaining and organizing crystallization supplies.
- Creating crystallization screens using an automated liquid handler.
- Manual and robotic set up of crystallization experiments. Monitoring crystal growth using a high-throughput robotic imaging system.
- Maintain lab, order supplies, and ensure equipment is operational.
- Prepare stock solutions, buffers, and media.
- Adhere to standards for lab safety and hazardous material.
- Communicate effectively with structural biology team.
What is Required
- A reliable self-starter with attention to detail.
- Scientific curiosity and a desire to learn in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in a research setting, such as a summer research program is preferred.
- Familiarity with AKTA system is a plus.
The candidate will be pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, or a related field. Experience in protein expression and purification or crystallography is preferred.
About Mirati Therapeutics
Mirati Therapeutics is a late-stage biotechnology company whose mission is to discover, design and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. The company is relentlessly focused on bringing forward therapies that address areas of high unmet need, including lung cancer, and advancing a pipeline of novel therapeutics targeting the genetic and immunological drivers of cancer. Mirati is using its scientific expertise to develop novel solutions in two registration-enabling programs: adagrasib (MRTX849), an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRAS G12C inhibitor, as monotherapy and in combination with other agents, and sitravatinib, an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases in combination with checkpoint inhibitor therapies. Mirati is also advancing its differentiated preclinical portfolio, including MRTX1133, an investigational KRAS G12D inhibitor, and other oncology discovery programs. Unified for patients, Mirati's vision is to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer.
At Mirati, we have an unapologetic and relentless focus on our mission to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. Patients and their families motivate us to work smarter, faster and better. We are driven by the knowledge that our efforts can one-day deliver life-saving therapies for the people who need us most. Urgency, open-mindedness, accountability and collaboration ground our work. These shared values are central to who we are, what we do and how we do it.
Our people fuel our success. They are fearless and passionate in their daily pursuit of our mission. We are committed to continuing to create a company and experience that attracts and keeps the best people. When you want your days to count and the work you do to matter, discovering and delivering potentially life-changing therapies is more than a job, it's the chance to be part of something bigger.
We believe diverse professional experiences and an inclusive culture can drive better outcomes for patients. We want employees to be authentic and use their perspectives to contribute to our mission in a meaningful way.
Mirati cultivates an environment where:
- An entrepreneurial attitude is encouraged
- Our people are empowered to speak up, embrace the gray and achieve solutions
- Diverse experiences are an important of part making the best decisions
- We laugh and have fun as a work family
No matter the role, we are unified by our passion for helping patients, and are inspired by a single vision to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer. Together, we own Mirati's success.
Learn more at Mirati.com/careers.
Mirati is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) we celebrate diverse experiences without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.