Associate Scientist, Drug Discovery
Department: Drug Discovery
Employment Type: Full Time
Reference Number: 1863508
Job Description Summary
The drug discovery team at Mirati is responsible for the invention, optimization and characterization of small molecules as clinical candidates for the Mirati research portfolio. Mirati is seeking an extraordinary synthetic organic chemist to join the drug discovery team at the Associate/Senior Associate Scientist level within the chemistry group.
- With some direction of a senior staff member, apply cutting-edge synthetic methodologies and techniques to design and execute efficient syntheses of target compounds for existing chemical series and novel series
- Conduct multi-step synthesis and optimization through effective reaction planning, troubleshooting, and systematic analysis.
- Maintain all appropriate legal and corporate standards for lab safety and hazardous material management; execute daily chemistry operations with an approach designed to minimize risks and hazard waste streams.
- Prepare target analogs and key project compounds on scales ranging from 10mg-100g, as required for project advancement
- Purify and characterize compounds using a variety of techniques including chromatography, crystallization, trituration, LCMS, NMR, etc.
- Enable chemistry via new technologies.
- Help maintain the lab instruments including NMR, HPLC, ISCO, lyophilizer etc.
- Maintain lab notebook, instrument, and inventory records in accord with department guidance and regulatory requirements
- Prepare and present summaries of work for department and project meetings.
- Participate in the preparation of publications and patent applications related to Mirati's portfolio of projects.
What is Required
- A Bachelor's degree with 1 or more years of post-degree experience in a medicinal chemistry or organic chemistry laboratory, preferably in the pharma or biotech sector, or a master's degree
- A track record of productivity as an organic chemist
- Flexibility in adapting methods/skills according to evolving project priorities
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern synthetic, laboratory and analytical techniques
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations
- This position is laboratory-based and located in San Diego, CA
About Mirati Therapeutics
Mirati Therapeutics is a late-stage biotechnology company whose mission is to discover, design and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. The company is relentlessly focused on bringing forward therapies that address areas of high unmet need, including lung cancer, and advancing a pipeline of novel therapeutics targeting the genetic and immunological drivers of cancer. Mirati is using its scientific expertise to develop novel solutions in two registration-enabling programs: adagrasib (MRTX849), an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRAS G12C inhibitor, as monotherapy and in combination with other agents, and sitravatinib, an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases in combination with checkpoint inhibitor therapies. Mirati is also advancing its differentiated preclinical portfolio, including MRTX1133, an investigational KRAS G12D inhibitor, and other oncology discovery programs. Unified for patients, Mirati's vision is to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer.
At Mirati, we have an unapologetic and relentless focus on our mission to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. Patients and their families motivate us to work smarter, faster and better. We are driven by the knowledge that our efforts can one-day deliver life-saving therapies for the people who need us most. Urgency, open-mindedness, accountability and collaboration ground our work. These shared values are central to who we are, what we do and how we do it.
Our people fuel our success. They are fearless and passionate in their daily pursuit of our mission. We are committed to continuing to create a company and experience that attracts and keeps the best people. When you want your days to count and the work you do to matter, discovering and delivering potentially life-changing therapies is more than a job, it's the chance to be part of something bigger.
We believe diverse professional experiences and an inclusive culture can drive better outcomes for patients. We want employees to be authentic and use their perspectives to contribute to our mission in a meaningful way.
Mirati cultivates an environment where:
- An entrepreneurial attitude is encouraged
- Our people are empowered to speak up, embrace the gray and achieve solutions
- Diverse experiences are an important of part making the best decisions
- We laugh and have fun as a work family
No matter the role, we are unified by our passion for helping patients, and are inspired by a single vision to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer. Together, we own Mirati's success.
Learn more at Mirati.com/careers.
Mirati is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) we celebrate diverse experiences without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.