Sr Director, Patient Advocacy and Engagement
Department: Medical Affairs
Employment Type: Full Time
Reference Number: 1846176
Job Description Summary
The Sr. Director, Patient Advocacy and Engagement is a versatile, experienced, and highly motivated leader with a strong track record of partnering with patient advocacy groups. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and energetic team player who will build Mirati's strategic vision for patient advocacy in oncology and will oversee the execution from drug discovery through commercialization. S/he will be responsible for managing both external and internal stakeholders. Externally, s/he will engage in developing patient advocacy partnerships to transform patient care. His/her goal will include driving an aligned and strategic approach to working with patient and caregiver partners across new and existing tumor types in support of Mirati's oncology portfolio. Internally, s/he will advise, influence and lead colleagues toward advancing patient advocacy and engagement. S/he will also facilitate communication with senior leaders on new developments and ensure strong alignment to Mirati's key business objectives. Through key leadership and partnership across cross-functional teams, the Sr. Director/ Director will incorporate the 'patient voice' and 'patient choice' into broader disease area and clinical development strategies.
- Implement and oversee a multi-year patient advocacy strategy and budget planning/sponsorships aligned with Mirati's oncology portfolio
- Build and maintain meaningful and productive relationships with patient advocacy organizations and patient communities
- Ensure cross-functional collaboration with medical, clinical, commercial, market access and other key partners to manage relationships and ensure alignment and effective execution of patient advocacy strategy
- Partner with leading representatives within patient advocacy organizations who understand the short and long-term drivers impacting access to care
- Facilitate engagement and collaboration between patient advocacy partners and Mirati to advance
- matching strategic priorities and initiatives
- Identify innovative ideas to support product development, such as an increasing patient focus and participation in clinical trials and engaging in meaningful dialogue around data
- Develop communications strategies to provide regular updates to patient advocacy organizations around Mirati's mission, products, data including educational programs, disease awareness initiatives, advisory boards, patient speaker engagement, and clinical trial awareness
- Provide updates/ organize speakers at company meetings to educate internal colleagues on the patient perspective
- Support additional medical activities within the Med Affairs team on an as needed basis
- Travel may be required up to 25% of your time
What is Required
- Bachelor's degree required and graduate degree preferred.
- 10+ years professional experience working in patient advocacy (biotech/pharma, patient advocacy organization, other)
- Oncology experience a plus
- Ability to lead and influence all levels of internal and external stakeholders
- Solid record of decision making and performance in developing and implementing strategic vision
- Knowledge of and experience working with patient advocacy groups
- Understanding of sponsorship activities (preferably with patient groups)
- Experience in event planning and execution
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and agencies/vendors (if/when required)
- Team orientated and proven ability to work collaboratively towards common objectives
- Embraces an agile and adaptable mindset as focus and role/responsibility may evolve over time
- Excellent problem solving and project management skills along with an innovative mindset
- Being based or relocation to San Diego is preferred but not required; if remote, routine travel to the home office in San Diego is expected
About Mirati Therapeutics
Mirati Therapeutics is a late-stage biotechnology company whose mission is to discover, design and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. The company is relentlessly focused on bringing forward therapies that address areas of high unmet need, including lung cancer, and advancing a pipeline of novel therapeutics targeting the genetic and immunological drivers of cancer. Mirati is using its scientific expertise to develop novel solutions in two registration-enabling programs: adagrasib (MRTX849), an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRASG12C inhibitor, as monotherapy and in combination with other agents, and sitravatinib, an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases in combination with checkpoint inhibitor therapies. Mirati is also advancing its differentiated preclinical portfolio, including MRTX1133, an investigational KRASG12D inhibitor, and other oncology discovery programs. Unified for patients, Mirati's vision is to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer.
At Mirati, we have an unapologetic and relentless focus on our mission to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. Patients and their families motivate us to work smarter, faster and better. We are driven by the knowledge that our efforts can one-day deliver life-saving therapies for the people who need us most. Urgency, open-mindedness, accountability and collaboration ground our work. These shared values are central to who we are, what we do and how we do it.
Our people fuel our success. They are fearless and passionate in their daily pursuit of our mission. We are committed to continuing to create a company and experience that attracts and keeps the best people. When you want your days to count and the work you do to matter, discovering and delivering potentially life-changing therapies is more than a job, it's the chance to be part of something bigger.
We believe diverse professional experiences and an inclusive culture can drive better outcomes for patients. We want employees to be authentic and use their perspectives to contribute to our mission in a meaningful way.
Mirati cultivates an environment where:
- An entrepreneurial attitude is encouraged
- Our people are empowered to speak up, embrace the gray and achieve solutions
- Diverse experiences are an important of part making the best decisions
- We laugh and have fun as a work family
No matter the role, we are unified by our passion for helping patients, and are inspired by a single vision to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer. Together, we own Mirati's success.
Learn more at Mirati.com/careers.
Mirati is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) we celebrate diverse experiences without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.