Vice President, U.S. Sales
Employment Type: Full Time
Reference Number: 1620706
Mirati Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRTX) is a San Diego-based late-stage biotechnology company relentlessly focused on translating drug discovery and research into new treatments for patients by advancing and delivering novel therapeutics that target the genetic and immunologic drivers of cancer. Mirati is advancing a novel pipeline to treat large patient populations across multiple programs and tumor types, including two programs, adagrasib (MRTX849) and sitravatinib, in registration-enabling studies to treat non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
Adagrasib is an investigational small molecule and selective KRAS G12C inhibitor in clinical development as a monotherapy and in combinations. MRTX1133 is an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRAS G12D inhibitor in preclinical development.
Sitravatinib is an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases (RTK) designed to enhance immune responses through the inhibition of immunosuppressive signaling. Sitravatinib is being evaluated in multiple clinical trials to treat patients who are refractory to prior immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy, including a Phase 3 trial of sitravatinib in combination with nivolumab in NSCLC.
The Company has initiated plans to prepare for the commercialization of adagrasib by establishing its commercial and medical affairs team. Mirati's ambition is to continue to recruit and a build a world-class, high-performing team with a shared passion and dedication for transforming the future of cancer treatment.
We are Mirati
Our mission is to discover, design, and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of cancer patients and their loved ones. We have built a culture fueled by accountability, urgency, collaboration and open-mindedness, and have established ourselves as an innovator within our industry. As we grow, we are looking to build diverse teams, with skilled individuals that are passionate about their work.
Why join us?
Our pipeline is one of the most robust and exciting in the industry and fuels our ambition to make great strides in the fight against cancer. By joining Mirati, you will become part of a leading biotech company with a team of talented professionals dedicated to bringing the latest innovations in cancer treatment to patients. With a focus on teamwork and a commitment to do everything we can to support healthcare professionals in their effort to care for patients, we are well positioned to raise expectations for what companies can do to advance cancer care. We are passionate and dedicated, nimble and fast and are committed to empowerment to enable speed and high-quality customer service. While we go about it, our commitment to do first what is right is unshakable and we promise to put patients first in all that we do.
The Vice President of U.S. Sales will be responsible for recruiting, developing, and leading Mirati's first-ever national sales team to be formed in preparation for the launch of our first commercial product, adagrasib, a KRAS G12c inhibitor. The selected candidate will work alongside our cross-functional leadership in Marketing, Medical Affairs and Market Access to drive the success of our launch including providing expertise and valuable input in developing the overall strategy and successful execution of key initiatives and tactics. Critical elements to this position are the hiring, onboarding, training and development of the entire sales team. Beyond hiring top talent, he/she will be expected to build a high-performance sales organization while fostering a culture of accountability, collaboration, and a sense of urgency towards the achievement of desired outcomes. The ideal candidate will have expert knowledge of the oncology market dynamics including key customers, accounts and payers with an underlying passion and focus on delivering impactful therapies and transforming the lives of patients. This role reports to the Senior Vice President, U.S. Commercial. Residence is San Diego is preferred but hybrid arrangements are possible for this role with regular periods where working physically from the main office will be required.
- Hire, direct, develop and manage an Oncology sales team to meet the evolving needs of customers and drive business results
- Drive programs and activities that result in increased access to customers
- Direct the development and execution of a national customer engagement plan
- Work cross functionally to maximize brand adoption and growth within key accounts, including the successful execution of promotional activities
- Partner with the data and analytics team to develop and improve data usage and reports that enable a higher level of customer service
- Develop and execute incentive compensation plans aligned with key strategic goals
- Establish key processes to support and enable the sales management team; provides overall direction for staffing and effective allocation of human resources;
- Regularly evaluates the sales team performances against established objectives; Provides Mirati leadership with reporting, covering business issues, performance results, and customer service issues;
- Participates in strategic planning and sales forecasting.Provides market insights, trends, competitive activity and conditions.Recommends changes to strategic and tactical sales plans.Analyzes and reports changing needs within the sales organization for training, sales programs and field assets.
- Ensures customer expectations are exceeded; develops business plan that fits continually changing marketplace.
- Prepares, administers and controls expense budgets as part of overall P/L management;
- Coaches, develops and ensures focus and alignment with functional and company goals.Performs talent management and assessment requirements for team.
- Ensures all sales department activities are conducted with the highest degree of ethics, meeting all legal requirements and standards, starting always with a mindset of 'doing the right thing'. Works with legal, regulatory and senior leadership to address ambiguous situations, leading to decisions that balance innovation and risk management.
- Must have Bachelor level degree. MBA or advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of pharmaceutical sales experience with demonstrated success in product launches and building high-performance sales teams
- Minimum 5 years oncology experience, solid tumors and oral oncolytic preferred. Non-small cell lung cancer experience highly preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for effectively interfacing with all levels of management both outside and within the company
- Strong organizational skills to maintain a high level of productivity, innovation, and priority-setting in order to deliver on organizational goals
- Proven ability to think strategically and work with a high level of integrity
- A highly effective collaborator who understands the importance of team collaboration with all company stakeholders
- Establish and maintain strong clinical acumen to facilitate rapport with KOLs, community HCPs and effectively coach/mentor the sales team
- Product marketing, specialty pharmacy and payer experience is a plus
- Possesses a good blend of strategic and operational experience with the ability to see the big picture and strong attention to detail
- Ability to travel up to 50% domestic (Post-Covid requirement)
Mirati's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regards to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic informations, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.