Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
Department: Drug Discovery
Employment Type: Full Time
Reference Number: 1609356
Job Description Summary
The drug discovery team at Mirati is responsible for the invention, optimization and characterization of small molecules as clinical candidates for the Mirati research portfolio. Mirati is seeking an extraordinary synthetic organic chemist to join the drug discovery team at the Senior Scientist level within the medicinal chemistry group.
- Utilize cutting-edge synthetic methodologies and techniques to design and execute efficient syntheses of target compounds.
- Develop and utilize a deep knowledge of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery principles to advance portfolio projects from inception to the selection of development candidates
- Create optimization strategies for improving lead series potency, selectivity, physiochemical properties, in vitro ADME, and PK by coupling multivariant SAR analysis with hypothesis-driven medicinal chemistry design principles.
- Work closely with structural biology and computational chemistry colleagues to develop hypotheses that address key drug optimization goals and design novel compounds testing those hypotheses.
- Create intellectual property that advances portfolio projects. Prepare and update patent applications protecting lead series.
- Prepare and present summaries of work for department and project meetings.
- Coordinate activities with outside partners and CROs; help maintain corporate database; prepare and deliver internal presentations, patent applications and external publications as driven by the project and corporate strategies.
- Engage with CMC and early development teams to facilitate IND-enabling activities for drug substance to ensure a seamless transition from late discovery to early development with internal accountability and flexibility.
- Maintain all appropriate legal and corporate standards for lab safety and hazardous material management; execute daily chemistry operations with an approach designed to minimize risks and hazardous waste streams.
What is Required
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 0-4 years of experience post-degree in an academic or industrial setting
- A track record of synthetic productivity and problem solving, as demonstrated by patent applications, publications, and presentations
- Ability to apply the principle of physical organic chemistry to rationalize reaction mechanism and molecular interactions
- Demonstration of outstanding communication skills through internal/external presentations and publications
- Flexibility in adapting methods/skills according to evolving priorities
- The ability to work within a fast-paced matrixed team of experts and scientific associates
About Mirati Therapeutics
Mirati Therapeutics is a late-stage biotechnology company whose mission is to discover, design and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. The company is relentlessly focused on bringing forward therapies that address areas of high unmet need, including lung cancer, and advancing a pipeline of novel therapeutics targeting the genetic and immunological drivers of cancer. Mirati is using its scientific expertise to develop novel solutions in two registration-enabling programs: adagrasib (MRTX849), an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRASG12C inhibitor, as monotherapy and in combination with other agents, and sitravatinib, an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases in combination with checkpoint inhibitor therapies. Mirati is also advancing its differentiated preclinical portfolio, including MRTX1133, an investigational KRASG12D inhibitor, and other oncology discovery programs. Unified for patients, Mirati's vision is to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer.
At Mirati, we have an unapologetic and relentless focus on our mission to transform the lives of patients with cancer and their loved ones. Patients and their families motivate us to work smarter, faster and better. We are driven by the knowledge that our efforts can one-day deliver life-saving therapies for the people who need us most. Urgency, open-mindedness, accountability and collaboration ground our work. These shared values are central to who we are, what we do and how we do it.
Our people fuel our success. They are fearless and passionate in their daily pursuit of our mission. We are committed to continuing to create a company and experience that attracts and keeps the best people. When you want your days to count and the work you do to matter, discovering and delivering potentially life-changing therapies is more than a job, it's the chance to be part of something bigger.
We believe diverse professional experiences and an inclusive culture can drive better outcomes for patients. We want employees to be authentic and use their perspectives to contribute to our mission in a meaningful way.
Mirati cultivates an environment where:
- An entrepreneurial attitude is encouraged
- Our people are empowered to speak up, embrace the gray and achieve solutions
- Diverse experiences are an important of part making the best decisions
- We laugh and have fun as a work family
No matter the role, we are unified by our passion for helping patients, and are inspired by a single vision to unlock the science behind the promise of a life beyond cancer. Together, we own Mirati's success.
Learn more at Mirati.com/careers.
Mirati is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) we celebrate diverse experiences without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.