Principal Scientist, Protein Purification (BS/MS degree)
Department: Drug Discovery
Employment Type: Full Time
Reference Number: 1608437
Mirati Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRTX) is a San Diego-based late-stage biotechnology company relentlessly focused on translating drug discovery and research into new treatments for patients by advancing and delivering novel therapeutics that target the genetic and immunologic drivers of cancer. Mirati is advancing a novel pipeline to treat large patient populations across multiple programs and tumor types, including two programs, adagrasib (MRTX849) and sitravatinib, in registration-enabling studies to treat non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
Adagrasib is an investigational small molecule and selective KRAS G12C inhibitor in clinical development as a monotherapy and in combinations. MRTX1133 is an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRAS G12D inhibitor in preclinical development.
Sitravatinib is an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases (RTK) designed to enhance immune responses through the inhibition of immunosuppressive signaling. Sitravatinib is being evaluated in multiple clinical trials to treat patients who are refractory to prior immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy, including a Phase 3 trial of sitravatinib in combination with nivolumab in NSCLC.
The Company has initiated plans to prepare for the commercialization of adagrasib by establishing its commercial and medical affairs team. Mirati's ambition is to continue to recruit and a build a world-class, high-performing team with a shared passion and dedication for transforming the future of cancer treatment.
We are Mirati
Our mission is to discover, design, and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of cancer patients and their loved ones. We have built a culture fueled by accountability, urgency, collaboration and open-mindedness, and have established ourselves as an innovator within our industry. As we grow, we are looking to build diverse teams, with skilled individuals that are passionate about their work.
Why join us?
The drug discovery team at Mirati is responsible for the invention, optimization and characterization of small molecules as clinical candidates for the Mirati research portfolio. Mirati is seeking a Principal Scientist, Protein Purification with a track record of generating high-quality recombinant protein for use in structural biology, biochemistry and biophysics to join this highly productive team and contribute to our effort.
Your Responsibilities: The ideal candidate has expertise in protein expression, purification, and crystallization. In addition, you are organized, collaborative and able to use your expertise to guide project team decisions.
- Design and implement gene-to-protein workflows to produce pure, high-quality, soluble, recombinant protein. This includes:
- Design constructs for gene synthesis.
- Express recombinant protein in E. coli on 6 liter scale.
- Develop and execute protein purification methods on an AKTA FPLC using affinity, metal-chelation, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatography.
- Execute protein chemistry protocols such as protease cleavage and biotinylation.
- Characterize and quantify protein expression, homogeneity, and stability by using UV/Vis, SDS-PAGE gels, and analytical size exclusion.
- Clearly document and maintain protein purification records.
- Establish and communicate protein purification timelines for multiple targets and coordinate protein deliveries with members of the broader Research group.
- Set up crystallization trials using a Mosquito crystallization robot. Crystallization techniques include coarse matrix screening and optimization using fine screening, seeding, and additives.
- Pro-actively troubleshoot construct design, expression, and purification for challenging targets.
- Maintain protein chemistry lab, order supplies, and ensure equipment is operational.
- Maintain all appropriate legal and corporate standards for lab safety and hazardous material.
- Maintain current knowledge of protein chemistry, crystallization, and drug discovery scientific literature. Identify and, where appropriate, implement novel techniques and technologies.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with internal and external project team members from multiple disciplines.
What is Required:
- Master's in Biochemistry or related field and a minimum of 10 year's experience in protein purification in a Structural Biology setting or a Bachelor's degree with 15 year's experience.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, scientific creativity, and ability to think logically & critically.
- Experience designing and optimizing DNA constructs for protein expression.
- Proficiency in protein expression and purification from E. coli.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement protein purification schema capable of generating high quality, homogeneous, soluble protein on the 10-100 milligram scale.
- Strong experience in protein characterization including FPLC, UV-Vis, and gel electrophoresis.
- Experience with protein crystallization is a plus.
- Experience working with protein purification or gene-to-structure CROs is a plus.
- Ability to work pro-actively and independently.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Mirati's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regards to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.