|Job Description||Head of Molecular Modeling (Director)|
Mirati is seeking a proven Molecular Modeler, with a strong track record of applying computation in drug discovery, to lead the company’s modeling efforts. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design and optimization of novel drug candidates using advanced computational techniques, and will assume roles of responsibility for portfolio programs. The candidate will be responsible for structure-based drug design efforts for screening, hit identification, hit-to-lead and lead optimization across multiple programs, driving design efforts for ~27 internal and external synthetic chemistry FTEs currently. Responsibilities will also include establishing new drug discovery targets and projects, and shaping the strategic direction for Research.
- Establish intellectual property that advances Mirati research projects
- Be responsible for the structure-based or ligand-based drug design for multiple targets
- Establish a cheminformatics engine for the internal corporate collection as well as externally available compound collections and data sets
- Participate in nominating new drug targets and establishing new drug discovery programs
- Interact effectively with partners in, legal/IP, biochemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, project management, CMC and early development.
- Advance the Mirati Research Portfolio and company value through presentation/publication of project results in scientific meetings and peer-reviewed literature as guided by Mirati publication policies
- Be a key interface for drug discovery alliances and collaborations with CROs and Mirati’s business partners.
- Provide research project updates and strategic vision for research to the Mirati Board of Directors and Advisory Boards as appropriate
- Manage to budget
- Recognized as an intellectual leader in the biopharmaceutical industry with an extensive record of patents and publications.
- Expert user of molecular modeling software such as MOE and Maestro
- Adept at collecting, mining and analyzing complex biological and chemical data sets
- Ability to design libraries for both virtual and high-throughput screening
- Experience with chemical and analysis toolkits such as ChemAxon, RDkit, Spotfire, Pipeline Pilot, KNIME, and/or related software packages.
- Extensive working knowledge of modern medicinal and computational chemistry and drug discovery techniques
- Experience managing scientific collaborations and contracted research.
- The candidate will hold a Ph.D. in computational chemistry or molecular modeling or related discipline, with a minimum of three years’ industrial research experience.